word on the street

Arts community hobbled by last-minute, $20-million cut in funding

Posted on Updated on

Artistic Director displays government form letter terminating funding
Artistic Director displays government form letter terminating funding

BY DENISE RYAN, VANCOUVER SUN
AUGUST 30, 2009 6:40 PM

VANCOUVER — Dozens of arts organizations received word late Friday that the provincial government is slashing their gaming grants, including groups that had been guaranteed three-year funding.

“It’s a disaster,” said Bryan Pike, executive director of Word on the Street, which may have to cut literacy programs.

The $20-million in cuts will hobble the arts community, said Spencer Herbert, NDP critic for tourism, arts and culture.

photos © Kevin Teichroeb
photos © Kevin Teichroeb

Arts community members were in shock and tears at Herbert’s Denman street constituency office yesterday as they scrambled to come up with a plan.

Some even suggested a class-action lawsuit against the B.C. Liberal government, said Herbert.

Read the entire article here.